Saturday 11 June 2016

something new, something old

Pin It now!
all text in blue are active links 
test-tatting for Jane Eborall
do you really think her patterns need testing ?!

I’m sure we’ve all seen Jane’s latest necklace. It is such a beautiful piece – simple elegance ! So when the opportunity to test tat it came, I grabbed it, even though (or perhaps especially because) I consider myself bead-challenged.
Don’t get me wrong – I love beads & admire all the exquisite beaded tatting & tatters who can accomplish it. Beads add not just beauty & ornamentation; they have functional significance too – adding more colours, adding texture & dimension, bridging spaces, eliminating auxiliary threads, …. you know more than I do. It’s just that when I work with beads, my eyes get all beady, my threaded hands get all knotty, and my head goes for a long beaded spin ! Time seems to whirl away while my tatting seems to crawl. So beads go from affecting my eyes, to hands, to brain, and the whole Time dimension :-(
Trial 1 : vintage threads Anchor size 30 ; size 9 beads ;
finished length - 2"
Instead of the necklace, I chose to tat only the earrings. Loved it !!! It was fun because large beads were used & no stringing them; and a great learning experience. It also turned out a blessing in disguise, because this bead in SCMR has solved a problem I was facing with one of my patterns. Thanks to Jane at so many levels :-)
Trial 2 : Anchor size 20 threads ; size 6 beads ;
finished length - 2½
My Notes :
  1. When closing the SCMR half-way, keep enough loop space on either side of bead. This eases joining back. Learned from the 1st trial.
  2. There was some mismatch between threads & beads which has stumped me. But the pattern is very forgiving.
  3. Instead of lock join, I used the outer thread join (Teiko Fujito). With LJ I was getting a distinctly visually split ring (as seen in the lowermost ring in both versions ; see arrows in pic below). The outer thread join reduced the colour blip at both ends of ring, giving it more of a complete circle effect.
  4. Bead within half SCMR is a great bridging technique for making a pattern in one-pass !

I didn’t have to refer to any tutorial ! My beads & attaching findings learning is taking shape ;-P

◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘

Filet in Silhouette

I had been admiring Amanda’s filet tatting projects on Craftree for quite a while. Recently she offered to create a tutorial tat-along. How could I stay away ?!
Finally started yesterday. Went pretty smoothly.
Her directions & instructions are very clear & well laid out. 
Related Links : Craftree thread preparation ; Lesson 1 ; Lesson 2
My Notes :

  1. I used size 20 thread, hence increased chain stitches to 6ds for each chain segment.
  2. Ch5 can be made to face outwards as Ch1 & all the other chains in that ‘line’ (eg. Ch9, 13, etc).
  3. I used directional (fs/bs) tatting.
  4. The striver acts as a tiny picot gauge in position B, when used after the SLT . In position A, it acts as a barrier while including the tiny picot.
  5. Not all chain turns require an SLT & SPB. I could accomplish most of then with SPA, which, in effect incorporates an SLT, but around the striver.
  6. The construction using the strivers & SLT is also reminiscent of the Celtic Knotted Picot discussed in the overhand tie here
Incidentally, I have used what I called the “SLT picot” in Round 6 of Renulek’s Wiosna last year ! I wanted to change colour midway through a chain, but the pattern called for a small picot too (see pic below). I didn’t use a striver, just SLT, then a small picot. SLT or overhand tie helps to switch shuttle positions.

So, Lesson 1 (partially) is how far I got when I had to break for dinner & chores. But it must’ve been on my mind 'coz I filleted my own finger !!! Gotta give the shuttles a break :-(

◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘

A doily tat-along by Renulek
Rounds 9 & 10 (size 40 cream Anchor thread)

Round 9 measures 10½”
A simple rings and chains round. So I went with direct tatting (reverse stitch) for the chains. I find it easier/faster to switch shuttles & work from the front than reel in & reel out the bobbin in main shuttle & reverse work. Worked counter-clockwise.
Yes, there was some ruffling, but Renulek had assured us that it will go away in a few more rounds.
Split chain to climb out to round 10

Round 10 measures 11½” 
Went with normal 2-shuttle tatting, since there were frequent floating rings. Didn’t make sense to do direct tatting. So working in clockwise direction, with reverse work & switch shuttles.
Again used a split chain & split ring to climb out for round 11.

◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘◘

That’s all there is for now. I have finally taken photographs of my recent projects, so you can expect more posts soon :-)
Thanks for reading along …
and
many thanks to Jane, Manda-tory, & Renulek 

Wiosna 2016 Rnds 1-3 ; Rnd 4 ; Rnds 5-6 ; Rnds 7-8



11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Ninetta, you are too kind :-) The SCMR-bead has given me a solution to the bracelet problem !!!

      Delete
  2. I tested Jane's technique too - love its simplicity and that beads don't have to be threaded beforehand. I look forward to seeing your filet tatting. I've often wondered if it's worth the effort involved because it's so much simpler in crochet and I don't think that tatting with its natural curves lends itself to the squareness of filet. I'm willing to be convinced!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, this beaded project was fun for me, too ! Me, and beads !!!
      I totally agree with you about crochet filet. But I like to learn new things to see for myself (to be convinced ;-P). In fact, initially I had thought this would have split chains. Hmm, may be SCh trials are in order ? Thanks :-)))

      Delete
  3. Wow!!! You sure have been busy!!! :)
    Everything looks great!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, Sue, I tatted only the earrings & filet bookmark on 10th ; the doily had been done long long back, but no blocking & photos ;-P

      Delete
  4. Sorry, Carollyn, your lovely comment got deleted by mistake :-( And I only hope it hasn't been marked as spam. Please let me know if you have difficulty leaving a comment in future.
    The earrings (& necklace) are a very quick tat, using Any beads & threads on hand, so do give it a go :-)
    (Hugs)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once again, you have published a very informative post! I really am looking forward to the day you put out a book. I will be first in line to order an autographed copy! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Diane, but if I do autograph it, you won't recognise the name ! (((Hugs)))

      Delete
  6. Ha! I've often wondered about your online moniker!

    The Renulek looks wonderful and I am always astounded at how much you tat, teach and compose such informative posts. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Fox does have a keen senses ;-P
      Thanks for your kind words - I just share what I am still learning.
      Hugs

      Delete